Tuesday, March 31, 2020

'I conquered coronavirus': Diabetic teacher, 26, tells how she battled back to health

A teacher who has diabetes and a debilitating lung and liver condition, has spoken out after battling back to health from Covid-19.

Sarah Hall, who had her 26th birthday while suffering last week, gave her harrowing account.


Her symptoms started when she started to feel more tired than usual, and freezing cold, before the tell-tale cough arrived.

She started self-isolating and gradually felt more dizzy and struggled to breath.

She told the Telegraph: "I struggled to breathe and felt constantly dizzy – I felt like I was about to pass out, but I tried to keep calm, drink plenty of water and keep as busy as I could.

"By Friday I think I’m feeling better. I’m not coughing as much, my breathing is steadier and my fever isn't as erratic...oh how wrong I am!

"Friday afternoon and I’m sweating. The first sign that I’m not over this. Then – bam! I flop on the couch. Black out. Vomiting. Coughing fit. Stop breathing for a second.

"Over the next few hours I fluctuate quite rapidly between feeling better to feeling horrendous. By the end of the day I’ve been sick four times and I’ve had multiple dizziness or black out episodes."

Unsure if she should go to hospital and take up a space, she called 111, who confirmed her symptoms.

She was told she would have to wait about 10 hours for an ambulance, but eventually was driven to the hospital by her boyfriend.

Sarah was diagnosed with covid-19, and given fluids before eventually being discharged and is recovering at home.

She added: "By day seven of the virus I felt better and the symptoms started to lessen. My birthday was ruined though – I couldn't blow out candles!

"It's not pleasant but I have a lung condition as well as diabetes and I conquered the virus."

No comments: